How to grow Alocasia – Sharing experience
It is very interesting for me to observe and learn the world of gorgeous tropical plants on my window sill. Of particular interest to me was Alocásia. its magnificent leaves with a burgundy underside sparkle with black-green velvet, on which white convex pearlescent stain is painted veins-“spiders” in the middle. Just a miracle!
How to grow Alocasia
- I grew my Alocasia from the cuttings of a plant that somebody threw away.
- I washed my find with warm, soft water.
- I cut off two 10 cm tops (together with leaves) and left them in a bag.
- When the heating was switched on, I put the bag by the battery, regularly moistening the cuttings. And by the end of October, white bumps appeared on the trunk, the rudiments of future roots.
- When the brittle roots became stronger, I planted the cuttings in warm earth slurry, filled in a wide pot of about a liter. From above I filled the ground for senpolia, then hid the pot in a bag and put it above the battery (often moistening the ground, not letting it dry).
Time has passed. During the winter, three leaves grew on each stalk, one larger than the other. The plant was not recognized!
Later I noticed that the hot sun was harming my alokasia, and the lower heating was quite pleasant, so I moved the pot to the window sill, where the sun only appeared in the evening.
Why is Alocasia called a barometer
In spring (and it was cold that year, constantly raining), the “live barometer” proved to be in full force. If there were large drops on young leaves, wait for rain! The barometer predicted the weather very accurately.
Then Alocasia stopped growing. Shoots began to grow only from the trunk at the ends of which there were baby strawberries in the form of “bulbs”. That’s how it multiplies – strawberry bulbs, which then grow into daughter plants.
My plant grows in tenderness and love. I waited for the flowers to bloom.
First there was a cob, and then, it opened.
Some florists remove the flowers so as not to weaken the plant. But if you do let your alokasia bloom, don’t forget to give it proper care.
Hope you liked my experience and learned how to grow Alocasia